This Reggae Lover episode is about the global state of sound clash in 2019. Our special guest is Dr. Rock, host of Front Lines, the West Coast’s only Sound Clash talk show.
Introduction to Episode:
Dr. Rock is the selector behind Great Stone Sound and has studied the game for 30+ years. He hosts two radio shows on the Portland, Oregon based internet station, Nice Up Radio. You can hear him on Front Lines (Thursdays 7-9pm PST) and Dr. Rock’s Free Clinic (Sundays 7-9pm PST).
Podcast Episode Summary:
- Rock’s favorite sounds are Stur Mars (late 80s) and King Addies (90s – present).
- When trying to introduce white people to sound clash, he has pointed to the Red Bull Culture Clash. From there, more hardcore.
- He fell in love with reggae as a youth in the Bahamas in the mid-80s.
- Why he became a selector
- Tips for young sounds to build a brand and a following.
- Who are the top sounds from the West coast?
- Insights learned from interviewing top clash selectors from around the world.
“There’s something so pure about the sound clash, the dubplate, and the dubplate forward. It is almost religious in its effect. When you see it, you want to share it with people.”
– Dr. Rock on Reggae Lover Podcast 142 – Sound Clash Time Again.