Podcast: Lila Ike Tells Where She’s Coming From1
Rising reggae star Lila Iké is our special guest for the 150th episode of Reggae Lover.
Often highlighted on this platform for being part of the resurgence of conscious, organic music in Jamaica, it was a pleasure to discuss the state of the culture with Lila. The talented Manchester native shared her story with us in an amazing interview.
During the interview we touched on:
- Lila’s new single “Where I’m Coming From”
- Childhood and the Influence of her mom
- Musical inspiration
- Move to Kingston and linkage with Protoje
- Learning the business of music
- Working with Protoje
- Love of sound system culture and creating dubplates.
CLICK HERE to play this episode now.
The Reggae Lover podcast has been selected by the panelists at FeedSpot as one of the Top 15 Reggae Podcasts on the web. Read more here: https://blog.feedspot.com/reggae_podcasts/.
A special edition of Reggae Lover is now being broadcasted live on Nice Up Radio every Monday from noon to 1 pm PT. Check out NiceUpRadio.com or download the free Nice Up Radio mobile app from the iTunes Store or Google Play.
This episode was supported in part by DOGS420💨🐕🐩.
Why does Black America hate reggae?
Nick from the Jamaican State of Mind podcast joins the Reggae Lover crew once again to discuss the topic: Why does Black America hate reggae?
We analyze different aspects of culture, education, travel, and politics in an attempt to come up with answers.
White America had somewhat embraced reggae music by the time Bob Marley’s “Legend” album dropped. Black America as a whole never really joined the movement.
We also discuss the reasons why we care about this in the first place. It is a very real conversation from the heart, and worth a listen.
Best Summer Songs 2019
Kahlil Wonda and AGARD list their top Reggae and Afro-Caribbean selections for summer 2019.
AGARD recaps Walshy Fire’s exclusive New York City album release party. The new album, Abeng, is available now on all digital platforms.
- Walshy Fire – Abeng
- Shaggy – Wah Gwaan?!
- Koffee – Rapture (EP)
- Collie Budz – Hybrid
- Jemere Morgan – Self Confidence
- Marcia Griffiths – TImeless
- Unity Sound Worldwide – Family Buss (Riddim)
- Oneness Records – Lioness Order (Riddim)
- Call Me – Walshy Fire ft. Mr. Easi and Kranium
- Rapture (Remix) – Koffee ft. Govana
- Shape Nice – Afro B ft. Dre Skull and Vybz Kartel
- Level Up – Popcaan
- Nah Mad (Ova No Gyal) – Munga Honorebel
- Dolla Van – Busy Signal
- Not Another Word – Protoje ft. Lil Ike and Agent Sasco
- Toast – Koffee
- Throne – Koffee
- Country For Sale – Buju Banton
- Mama – Jahmiel ft. Stonebwoy
CLICK HERE TO PLAY THIS EPISODE.
What recent releases will you be rocking this Summer? Email: reggaeloverpodcast at gmail dot com.
Reggae Music Forever
Our special guest was Shawn from the Reggae Talk podcast and ReggaeMusicForever blog.
We discussed the state of dancehall/reggae culture including topics:
- Dancehall supporters versus die-hard fans of roots reggae.
- The overlooked conscious dancehall movement.
- The American reggae scene.
- Comparing white and black Americans taste in reggae.
- Reggae Talk Podcast 1-year Anniversary event.
- Other passions outside of reggae.
- Is reggae music on life-support?
- Predictions for the future.