Be there Easter Sunday April 5th as veteran selector Rico Vibes from Natural Vibes sound and Da Flava Radio.Com returns to the Sound Table for a special classic Reggae music set alongside Highlanda Sound System and DJ Passport. Doors open at 7pm, music turns up at 8pm, and admission is complimentary all night. Early arrival, as always, is strongly suggested for #RocksteadyATL.
This event was one of my highlights for carnival weekend in Atlanta. Look out for the Miami and New York installments of the Caribbean American Movers and Shakers Series coming soon.
Photos from Red Carpet Shelley
Photos from Rolling Out Magazine
- 12 Honorees to be recognized in Atlanta for 2013 Caribbean American Movers and Shakers (highlanda.net)
- US television and film star partners with CTO for Caribbean Week in New York (antiguaobserver.com)
- Fast Casual Releases 2013 Top 100 Movers & Shakers (virtual-strategy.com)
The announcement of the 12 honorees for the 2013 Caribbean American Networking and Social Media Series officially took place via Facebook on Monday May 6, 2013. The Networking and Social Media Series, will present savvy and innovative ways in advertising, and promoting to the cross cultural and international audience. Those attending the event will dive head first into the social media promotional gifts and giveaways throughout the night.
The annual recognition identifies professionals and civic minded individuals of Caribbean heritage, living in the metro Atlanta area, who have contributed to the multicultural community. This year’s honorees include: Film Producer Roger Bobb; Songwriters Rock City aka Planet VI; Reggae Ambassador: Gramps Morgan, Da Flava Radio: Rico Vibes, Star Time Inc: Levi MacSween, Radio Pioneer Glen Simmonds, The Whatz Happening Editor: Annette Lemonn; Film Producer: John P Wheatley; Georgia Caribbean Association President; Jackie Watson: Caribbean Star Magazine, and the Black Latino Council. The 2013 Caribbean American Movers and Shakers Networking Series includes a series of promotional events, in the prime markets of Atlanta, Georgia, New York City and Miami,Florida, throughout the year.
The Caribbean Media Network, in conjunction with affiliates, will host this memorable networking celebration on Thursday, May 23, 2013, at Atlanta’s new hot spot, Kouture (formerly Fins) Restaurant and Lounge, which is under new management by KCE Bars. This luxury venue is located in the heart of Midtown Atlanta,which will serve as an urban oasis for this year’s celebration. The event will start promptly at 7:00p.m.. (RSVP Required) .
The 2013 Atlanta Networking Event, will be hosted by Caribbean American Diva, Red Carpet Shelley, who serves as an ambassador of Caribbean entertainment, lifestyle, and culture. The atmosphere will be highlighted by the international Highlanda Sound along side some special invited guests.
For more information on RSVP and celebrity involvement: Please contact Caribbean Media Network at 404-455-2944 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
@cmnusa @redcarpetshelle @highlanda
- Caribbean American Movers and Shakers Networking Series (highlanda.net)
- Caribbean American Carnival 2013 in Phoenix (mosoiradionews.wordpress.com)
- The Best Food in the world is Caribbean Food (sacdblog.wordpress.com)
- Joint Venture Promises Broadband Benefits with Potential Risks for Latin American, Caribbean Markets (circleid.com)
- The Bahamas tops Caribbean list for wealthy US visitors (caribbean360.com)
- Connecting the Caribbean with its overseas community (dominicantoday.com)
- CARICOM calls for end to hazardous waste shipments through Caribbean Sea (caribbean360.com)
- Fiscal consolidation inevitable in the Caribbean – says IMF (dominicanewsonline.com)
- Grace Bay voted world’s best beach! (turkscaicosluxuryvillas.com)
- Turks & Caicos again named World’s best beach destination by travellers (turkscaicosluxuryvillas.com)
- Three Alternative Caribbean Cruise Ports Worth A Trip In 2013 (gadling.com)
- Royal Caribbean’s new biggest ship (o.canada.com)
- LIAT chairman wants CARICOM summit on transporation (caribbean360.com)
The warm up segment by Natural Vibes with Rico Vibes and Junior Culture seemed to contain hit song after hit song: Damian ‘Junior Gong‘ Marley’s “Affairs of the Heart,” along with big tunes from artists like Popcaan, Mavado and Vybz Kartel. The crowd rocked and swayed as the venue Club Pisces filled up.
Natural Vibes turned the booth over to Negus British from Textra who then took to the stage as the lights turned on. At 2:18am after playing a few songs assisted by Mark Dragon of Inner City, Negus announced the first artist, whose name I totally missed. This was a singer who played it safe, covering a few popular reggae songs such as “Feels Good” by Beres Hammond and “Can’t Sleep” by Romain Virgo.
Next on stage was Dovey Magnum who delivered the same song she opened with at the Cham concert to start off – a dedication to her father who passed away. This was Atlanta’s first time seeing Dovey work with a backing band, but she seemed to be comfortable performing live with the musicians present. Singles “The Ting Sad,” “Kitty Tight,” and “The Best F#$%” were well received and Dovey closed her set with acapella delivery of a new one entitled “Real Bad Gal.”
Another performer whose name I did not catch hit the stage next. He was not nearly as engaging as Dovey and did not stay as long. Following this was an intermission during which Negus played a few more songs and Beenie Man‘s band eventually took their positions on stage.
Beenie Man entered the Club Pisces stage after 3am to perform in front of a packed house. This was definitely the biggest turn-out I have seen at this venue in years. The King of the Dancehall gave the crowd back to back medleys with hits from his lengthy catalog. Crowd participation was solid, but could have been better considering the size of the audience that gathered. Beenie paused during the performance a few times seemingly looking for more energy from his fans.
At one point The Doctor asked the crowd “Are y’all ready for this…?” After singing and dancing on stage to the delight of many, Beenie was asked for new tunes by someone in the audience. He replied that he has been doing this for 21 years and asked “…Can I do my thing?” Sometime after the hour of 4am the club lights were turned on with Beenie in mid-performance. After explaining that he was ready to perform at 12:45am and stating he means no disrespect to the promoter, Beenie Man was able to stay long enough to give Club Pisces hits from the Overproof and One Day riddims, closing with “Drinking Rum,” and “I’m Ok.”
This was a well promoted show with a talented lineup of acts and veteran Beenie Man handled the events of the night with class for this his long-awaited return to Atlanta.
- Best Reggae/Dancehall Riddims (2000-2009) (caribtorch.com)
- Review, Video & Pics: Cham Live in Atlanta (highlanda.net)
- UB40, Beres Hammond, Shaggy, Maxi Priest @ Barclays Center (highlanda.net)
- Beenie Man live at The Shrine | Video (getmybuzzup.com)
- Listen: Snoop Lion f/ Mavado & Popcaan “Lighters Up” (complex.com)
- Popcaan: ‘Vybz Kartel has influenced my career a lot’ (worldlifehype.org)
- Jamaican artist Mavado cleared to perform in Barbados (caribbean360.com)
- Sting 2012 Official Poster Unveiled (highlanda.net)
For Tickets Click On The Poster
Click the image above for a FREE DOWNLOAD OF NEW MUSIC TUESDAYS “LIVE” MIX TAPE.
- Kesha Is The First White Female Artist To Cover Vibe Solo (rapfix.mtv.com)
For More Pics Visit DaReggaeScene.com
Reggae singer Christopher Martin, Khago, and Zamunda performing with Juggla, Rico Vibes, and Danger Marcus at Club Pisces for Atlanta Reggae Jam on Saturday September 1st.
- Snoop Lion Wants To Glam Up Reggae! (lukewilliamsgossip.wordpress.com)
- Classic Capleton Culture Mix With Bio (highlanda.net)
- Matisyahu Gives Lucky Atlanta Fan a Private Show at Her Home (atlantablackstar.com)
- Officials Look Into Fire At Tyler Perry’s Atlanta Studios (oldschool945.com)
- Judge rejects reggae singer’s plea for new trial (miamiherald.com)
- On ‘Love & Hip Hop Atlanta,’ Insulting a Black Icon – and Insulting Us All (atlantablackstar.com)
On JULY 21st Blue Mountain Entertainment presents Fantasy Vybez, a grown and sexy experience featuring music from Rico Vibes and Natural Vibes Sound, Mix Master Junior of Oneness Sound, and Highlanda Sound @ The Vixn Hookah and Martini Lounge (2930 Ember Drive Decatur GA 30034).
FantasyVybez.com For more Information
Download Promo CD by Highlanda and Natural Vibes
- Flashback 2012 w/Bass Odyssey, Highlanda, Uprising & Innocent (Full Audio) (highlanda.net)
- Highlanda live at The Aquarium alongside DJ Enuff (highlanda.net)
- Highlanda and Adonai live at Deux Plex (Top Rated Audio) (highlanda.net)
- Highlanda’s Most Downloaded Podcast Episode Ever (highlanda.net)