The event is known as Sundays On Da Drive and has been going on in Atlanta for approximately 3 years.
Club Xpose, located at 6013 Memorial Drive in Stone Mountain has hosted this reggae music weekly event for the last 2 years.
I popped in this past Sunday (April 12th, 2009) to check out the vibes and as usual, was not disappointed. The highlight of S.O.D.D for me is John Wayne’s segment, usually between 2 and 4am. The selections this time were very nostalgic – I heard songs I haven’t heard since I lived in Kingston, J.A. over 20 years ago!
Selector John Wayne, who I first met while he worked on Atlanta and Virginia based sound, King Eternity, has a long and distinguished music industry resume. John showcased classics from the 80s and 90s in fine style before turning the stage over to Mix Master David who brought the vibes up to the current time again and juggled into the early Monday morning hours.
I would recommend Sundays On Da Drive especially to anyone who enjoys listening to Reggae Vault Classics, likes foundation, conscious, or lovers rock reggae. Not having to wake up early on Monday would be an added bonus.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Dancehall Now Episode 20 – Freedom of Speech (highlanda.wordpress.com)
- Interview: Bitty McLean (highlanda.wordpress.com)
- New Roots in the Bronx for a Lion of Reggae (nytimes.com)
- Cherine Anderson’s EP Release Making Waves (highlanda.wordpress.com)
- Straight outta Kingston (guardian.co.uk)